- Revised policy on the Use of Jurisprudential Guides
- Quality performance report : Immigration Appeal Division 2017-18 now available
The Quality performance report in the Immigration Appeal Division 2017-2018 is now available.
- Paper published - Interpretation of the convention refugee definition in the case law
The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) has published an updated version of the paper Interpretation of the Convention Refugee Definition in the Case Law.
- Refugee Protection Division now using electronic signatures
- Federal Court decision: Canadian Association of Refugee Lawyers v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration) 2019 FC1126
On September 4, 2019, the Federal Court issued its decision in Canadian Association of Refugee Lawyers v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2019 FC 1126.
- New online guides now available for appellants appearing before the IAD
The Immigration Appeal Division (IAD) is expanding its suite of online resources
- Update on funding of legal aid services
The Government of Canada announced a one-time investment for 2019-20 of $26.8 million for immigration and refugee legal aid services in Ontario, British Columbia, and Manitoba.
- Notice of Revocation of Jurisprudential Guide TB6-11632
Please be advised that, effective June 28, 2019, the Chairperson of the IRB has revoked decision TB6-11632 of the Refugee Appeal Division as a Jurisprudential Guide.
- Refugee Appeal Division case management changes
Beginning the first week of July 2019, the Refugee Appeal Division (RAD) will change how it processes appeals.
- Policy on National Documentation Packages in Refugee Determination Proceedings
The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) has developed a Policy on National Documentation Packages in Refugee Determination Proceedings.
- Canada removes all countries from the Designated Country of Origin list
The Government of Canada announced that effective today, Canada is removing all countries from the designated country of origin (DCO) list.
- Research Report on Sexual and Gender Minorities in Nigeria
The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) has published the report The Situation of Sexual and Gender Minorities in Nigeria (2014-2018)
- IRB launches Post-hearing Survey on March 29, 2019
The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) has launched its national, online Post-hearing Survey.
- Chairperson’s Revised Guideline on Detention
The Chairperson of the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) has issued a revised Guideline on Detention, which takes effect on April 1, 2019.
- Identification of a Persuasive Decision – Similar BOC Narratives
This persuasive decision outlines the steps that can be taken in an analysis of similar Basis of Claim narratives in a transparent and fair manner.
- Practice Notice: Presence of Children in Refugee Protection Division Hearings
In September 2017, the Refugee Protection Division (RPD) launched a pilot project to limit the requirement for accompanied minor refugee claimants to be present at RPD hearings.
- IRB Issues New Instructions Governing the Streaming of Less Complex Claims at the Refugee Protection Division
The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) is committed to deciding claims for refugee protection both fairly and efficiently.