- Notice of upcoming website maintenance
- Revised policy on the Use of Jurisprudential Guides
- Quality performance report : Immigration Appeal Division 2017-18 now available
The Quality performance report in the Immigration Appeal Division 2017-2018 is now available.
- Paper published - Interpretation of the convention refugee definition in the case law
The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) has published an updated version of the paper Interpretation of the Convention Refugee Definition in the Case Law.
- Refugee Protection Division now using electronic signatures
- IRB offices in Montreal are reopened
The IRB office at the Guy Favreau Complex, 200 René-Lévesque Blvd. West, East Tower, Montreal, has been reopened.
- IRB office at the Guy Favreau Complex in Montreal is closed
The IRB building office at the Guy Favreau Complex, 200 René-Lévesque Blvd. West, East Tower, Montreal is temporarily closed due to unforeseen circumstances.
- Montreal – Most September 27 hearings postponed
Montreal - most hearings scheduled for September 27 are postponed due to the Global Climate Strike.
- Federal Court decision: Canadian Association of Refugee Lawyers v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration) 2019 FC1126
On September 4, 2019, the Federal Court issued its decision in Canadian Association of Refugee Lawyers v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2019 FC 1126.
- New online guides now available for appellants appearing before the IAD
The Immigration Appeal Division (IAD) is expanding its suite of online resources
- Update on funding of legal aid services
The Government of Canada announced a one-time investment for 2019-20 of $26.8 million for immigration and refugee legal aid services in Ontario, British Columbia, and Manitoba.
- Notice of Revocation of Jurisprudential Guide TB6-11632
Please be advised that, effective June 28, 2019, the Chairperson of the IRB has revoked decision TB6-11632 of the Refugee Appeal Division as a Jurisprudential Guide.
- Refugee Appeal Division case management changes
Beginning the first week of July 2019, the Refugee Appeal Division (RAD) will change how it processes appeals.
- Policy on National Documentation Packages in Refugee Determination Proceedings
The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) has developed a Policy on National Documentation Packages in Refugee Determination Proceedings.
- Canada removes all countries from the Designated Country of Origin list
The Government of Canada announced that effective today, Canada is removing all countries from the designated country of origin (DCO) list.
- Research Report on Sexual and Gender Minorities in Nigeria
The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) has published the report The Situation of Sexual and Gender Minorities in Nigeria (2014-2018)
- IRB launches Post-hearing Survey on March 29, 2019
The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) has launched its national, online Post-hearing Survey.
- Chairperson’s Revised Guideline on Detention
The Chairperson of the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) has issued a revised Guideline on Detention, which takes effect on April 1, 2019.
- Identification of a Persuasive Decision – Similar BOC Narratives
This persuasive decision outlines the steps that can be taken in an analysis of similar Basis of Claim narratives in a transparent and fair manner.
- Practice Notice: Presence of Children in Refugee Protection Division Hearings
In September 2017, the Refugee Protection Division (RPD) launched a pilot project to limit the requirement for accompanied minor refugee claimants to be present at RPD hearings.
- All offices open on February 14
All Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) offices are open for regular business on Thursday, February 14, including all scheduled hearings.
- Office closures on February 13
Due to the winter storm, the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) will be closed at 200, René-Lévesque Blvd W., Montreal and 344 Slater St., Ottawa, on Wednesday, February 13.
- IRB Issues New Instructions Governing the Streaming of Less Complex Claims at the Refugee Protection Division
The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) is committed to deciding claims for refugee protection both fairly and efficiently.
- RAD launches initiative to resolve 2017 appeals
In January 2019, the Refugee Appeal Division (RAD) launched an initiative to render a decision on its oldest appeals, those filed in 2017, by June 2019.