Detention reviews - 1. Preparing for a detention review


You can represent yourself at your Detention Review, but you may want to hire counsel to help you. Your counsel can be a lawyer or a registered immigration consultant. If you are in Quebec, counsel can also be a notary. You are responsible for paying your counsel. You can contact the provincial Legal Aid Society of the province where your case will be heard to see if you may be able to get free legal help. Some community or religious organizations that help immigrants and refugees may also be able to help you. Ask a Canada Border Services Agency officer to help you find more information. If you decide to hire counsel or to have someone help you, you should do so as soon as possible.