- Warning - Fraudulent phone calls
The IRB will never ask its clients for money and will always verify an individual’s identity by asking specific questions pertaining to their file.
- New Way to Submit Documents in the Eastern Region
Effective October 19, 2017, the Immigration and Refugee Board’s (IRB) Eastern Regional Office will offer a locked document deposit box as a new secure and convenient way for clients and counsel to submit documents to the IRB.
- IRB launches pilot survey in Toronto
IRB encouraging counsel to complete a post-hearing survey in support of the Board’s commitment to the fairness and efficiency of its proceedings
- Pilot Project Regarding the Presence of Children in Refugee Protection Division Hearings
Effective September 1, 2017, the Refugee Protection Division will be launching a 6-month pilot project, whereby young children under the age of 12 who are accompanied by an adult making a refugee claim will not be required to appear before the RPD.
- Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada to carry out audit of long-term detention reviews
In line with its commitment to excellence in the delivery of administrative justice, the IRB will carry out an independent audit of detention reviews by the Immigration Division.
- IRB launching Irregular Border Crossing Response Team to address large and growing number of border crossings in Quebec
In response to the large number of irregular border crossings from the United States by individuals seeking asylum in Canada, the IRB is launching an Irregular Border Crossing Response Team.
- Refugee Protection Division and Refugee Appeal Division Interface Meetings
The deputy chairpersons of the Refugee Protection Division and the Refugee Appeal Division have recently begun to meet to ensure that they are each aware of the pressures and priorities facing the other division.
- Release of Three Jurisprudential Guides
Please be advised that on July 18, 2017, the Chairperson of the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada identified three decisions of the Refugee Appeal Division as Jurisprudential Guides.
- Electronic Submission of Documents to the Refugee Protection Division
The Refugee Protection Division (RPD) has issued a practice notice to allow the submission of documents electronically using Canada Post’s epost Connect service.
- Adoption of Electronic Signatures by the IAD
The Immigration Appeal Division is changing the way its members sign their reasons for decision.
- Reduced Capacity at the Immigration Appeal Division, Western Region
At this time, the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD) of the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada has reduced capacity to conduct oral hearings from its Vancouver and Calgary offices.
- Results of IAD Three-Member Panel (MB5-05031)
The Chairperson of the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada ordered that Immigration Appeal Division (IAD) file no. MB5-05031 be heard by a three-member panel.
- RAD Form Project
The Refugee Appeal Division (RAD) of the IRB has begun using outgoing correspondence templates (forms) with a new look and feel for all RAD correspondence.
- The IRB Moves Forward on Case-Related Information Management and Tracking
The IRB is in the process of implementing a vision and strategy called the NOVA Continuous Improvement Program (NCIP) to ensure a secure, reliable, and efficient case-management tool for all four tribunals.
- Notice on Formation of a Legacy Task Force
The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB) is announcing the formation of the Legacy Task Force which will provide dedicated support to the elimination of its backlog of legacy claims.
- Refugee Protection Division Member Recruitment Campaign
The RPD has a need to staff multiple RPD member positions (current and anticipated vacancies) at our Montreal, Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver offices.
- IRB Meets with Key Stakeholders to Find Strategic Way Forward
The IRB recently held a consultation meeting with key stakeholders to find a strategic and collaborative way to implement several measures to address the significant backlog and growing intake of refugee claims at the RPD.
- New Medical Certificate Form for Refugee Claimants before the Refugee Protection Division (RPD)
The Medical Certificate form is available for use by claimants before the RPD who were unable or will be unable, for medical reasons, to attend a hearing or submit a BOC form on time.
- Notice on RPD Scheduling and Short Hearing Process
As a result of rapidly increasing refugee claims, global instability and a backlog of new refugee claims, the IRB will be changing its approach for scheduling RPD hearings beginning at the end of March 2017.
- IAD Pilot Project: Remote Testimony by Videoconference
In March 2017, the IAD will be launching a six-month Remote Testimony by Videoconference Pilot Project in its Central (Toronto) regional office.